Who Won The 2018 Franchisee Of The Year Awards?
IFA honored 58 of the top-performing franchisees at the 2018 Franchisee of the Year Awards, held during the Franchise Action Network Annual Meeting in Washington, D.C.
Created to recognize outstanding franchise owner-operators that are IFA members, the Franchisee of the Year Awards are given as part of the Leadership Dinner at the FAN Annual Meeting. Sponsored by Paychex, the awards are determined based on nominations submitted by franchisor companies. It’s a great way to celebrate your franchisees while taking part in IFA’s yearly fly-in advocacy event on Capitol Hill.
Jane Tapken, a Jani-King franchise owner in Texas and 2018 award winner, has come to the Franchise Action Network for the past four years. She said the meetings with members of Congress “open your eyes to what’s really going on.” Tapken would like for more clarity surrounding joint employer liability.
“We’re concerned about the joint employer issue because it really impacts franchising,” she said. “It eliminates the ability of the franchisor to help the franchisees in areas such as ongoing training.”
Jeff Barclay, a 2018 award winner and franchise owner of Goodcents Deli Fresh Subs of Lincoln, Neb., came to his first FAN Annual Meeting “for so many good reasons.” Chief among them is strengthening his business networks by meeting new people and learning more about the threats to the business model.
“It’s nice to be recognized at any level, and this is important because of the relationships we’re trying to build within the franchise community,” he said.
In 2013, husband-wife franchise owner-operators Mike and Becky Besaw opened a Fully Promoted (formerly EmbroidMe) in Wausau, Wis. The couple also owns a second franchise brand, a Goin’ Postal location in Wausau, which opened in 2010. Becky Besaw worked in the banking industry for 14 years and got into franchising after looking for a change.
The couple attributes their Fully Promoted success in 2018 to a strong workforce of good people, and making community service and giving back part of the business model. They talked about how the tax cuts and the availability of Association Health Plans would help improve the ability for small business owners to retain quality employees.
The nomination period for next year’s Franchisee of the Year awards begins in April 2019. IFA member franchisors can receive a nomination form by contacting IFA’s Jenna Weisbord.
Cue the drum roll. This 2018 Franchisee of the Year Award winners are:
Last Name A-M:
- Jeff Barclay, Goodcents Deli Fresh Subs of Lincoln, Neb.
- Mike and Becky Besaw, Fully Promoted of Wausau, Wis.
- Jerry Black, Ultimate Home Inspections (Pillar To Post)
- Cory and Joan Blake, Specialized Cleaning Services, Inc. (Coverall North America)
- Bob Chapa, Sign-A-Rama of Troy, Mich.
- Tiffiny Consoli, Pool Scouts of Raleigh-Durham, N.C.
- Nick Crouch and Glen Johnson, DYNE Hospitality Group (Tropical Smoothie Café)
- Chuck/Rachel Eldridge and Steve/Gloria Sessums, Grease Monkey of Sheridan, Wyo.
- Jason Falk, FirstLight HomeCare of Franklin, Tenn.
- Luis Fonseca, Venture X of Brownsville, Texas (United Franchise Group)
- Rebecca Fuller, Newk's Eatery of Louisiana and Florida
- Creighton and Tracey Gibson, Home Instead Senior Care of Statesville, N.C.
- Mark and Shawn Glenn, FASTSIGNS of Dallas, Texas
- Kellie Huynh, InXpress of Tempe, Ariz.
- Nicole Kambesis, MaidPro of Hershey, Pa.
- Sam Kassar, Brightway Insurance of Bonita Springs, Fla.
- Acey and Kerri Light, TINT WORLD of Lubbock, Texas
- Steve Lorberbaum, Assisting Hands Home Care of Potomac, Md.
- Ray McGrath, PrimoHoagies of Ocean City, Md.
- Bryan and Donna Millsaps, SpeeDee Oil Change & Auto Service of Modesto, Calif.
- Chris Monteverde, Big O Tires of Benecia, Calif.
- Lisa Moore , Finding Serenity (Massage Heights)
- Blair Motl, Payroll Vault of East Dundee, Ill.
Last Name O-Z:
- Ron Oberg, Freddy's Frozen Custard & Steakburgers of Wichita, Kan.
- Rafiq Punjani, Anago Cleaning Systems of Winnipeg, Canada
- Lee Putman, Stratus Building Solutions of Indianapolis, Ind.
- Mark and Helena Ralph, ServiceMaster Absolute Water & Fire Damage Services
- Chris and Dona Rattray, Aire Serv of Marion County, Ore.
- Ramon and Maria Rodriguez, Home Helpers of Amsterdam, N.Y.
- Kathy Segmuller, Huntington Learning Center of Virginia
- Amanda and Mark Sewell, MaidPro of Orlando West
- Judd Shader, Leeds West Group (TBC Corp./Midas)
- Stephen Shields, Express Employment Professionals of Joplin, Mo.
- Caroline Simmons, Curves of Wytheville, Va.
- Brad and Stephanie Simon, Mosquito Joe of Arkansas
- Scott and Sharon Specker, Five Star Painting of Cumming, Ga.
- Frank Sprinkles, Fairway Personnel (@WORK Franchise)
- Jane Tapken, Jani-King of Texas
- Adrianne Walls , Caring Senior Service of Brazoria County, Texas
- Aaron Weissman, Teriyaki Madness of Great Falls, Mont.
- Anna Zaydenberg, ComForCare Home Care of Pittsburgh, Pa.
- Frances Zwick, Infiniteam LLC & Beyond LLC (Buffalo Wings & Rings)
Congrats to all our 2018 winners!