KEEPING BUSINESSES SAFE THIS WINTER AND SPRING SEASON
What you need to know to protect your workers and customers.
By Gary Bauer, JAN-PRO Cleaning & Disinfecting
Business owners across America and the world continue to endure an unprecedented pandemic that is testing all of us. Businesses continue to make hard decisions due to the COVID-19 pandemic and its effects on finances, employees, clients and plans to continue to move forward in 2021. As business leaders, it is imperative to have a reliable, efficient and effective cleaning system in place. Keeping your employees and customers safe is paramount as you allow activities to start to resume in your operations.
Cleaning companies of all types have seen interest skyrocket from 2019 to 2020. In fact, JAN-PRO Cleaning & Disinfecting saw over a 500 percent increase in requests for disinfecting services in 2020.
In the past, most large companies, offi ce buildings, warehouses, etc. would have a commercial cleaning company on a rotating cleaning schedule. Th e pandemic has made cleaning for health and the cleaning industry top of mind. Commercial cleaning is now essential and a priority for all business owners, putting cleaning companies on the frontline of the COVID-19 pandemic. Whether a cleaning service is coming in to do an emergency disinfecting service due to a COVID-19 case or potential exposure, or a company wants to make sure employees and clients feel safe in the physical workspace, we are seeing more interest in our services and expect it to only increase as the year continues.
Commercial cleaning is now essential and a priority for all business owners, putting cleaning companies on the frontline of the COVID-19 pandemic.”
As an industry leader in commercial cleaning, we quickly were able to mobilize our franchisees and supply chain to prioritize the increased need and demand for disinfecting services. Our sales process, marketing assets and our local franchise owners informed our new and existing clients about technology we could utilize to disinfect businesses and facilities of all kinds. Our EnviroShield® system focuses on three key aspects for a healthy environment — clean, disinfect and protect. Th e system utilizes an electrostatic sprayer that helps the disinfectant cover more surface area on a microscopic level, and the electric charge helps bind the disinfectant to the surface. We use hospital grade disinfectants listed on the EPA list for emerging pathogens. Then we can apply a surface treatment that prevents bacteria and odor causing organisms from reoccurring.
Opening Businesses Back Up
We expect even with vaccines being administered that the need for safe, clean and protected businesses will be demanded by employees and consumers as we emerge from the COVID-19 pandemic. Cleaning and safety measures to help create a safe environment for everyone will be something that is top of mind for the foreseeable future. JAN-PRO Cleaning & Disinfecting recommends that business owners and employees abide by the following tips:
- Increase cleaning and disinfecting of frequently touched surfaces and encourage employees to wipe down phones, keyboards, door handles, etc. after they use them.
- Consider staggered shifts for employees if possible. This minimizes the amount of interaction that employees will have with one another, thereby lowering the risk of transmission.
- Increase virtual meetings and minimize in-person events/interactions. • Re-educate and remind employees about social distancing guidelines while in the office.
- Increase the amount of times your space is cleaned by a professional, commercial cleaner.
- Have a commercial cleaning company that can adjust to needs in your facility such as a confirmed COVID exposure or an outbreak of the seasonal flu virus.
Tips to Think About
- Consider no-touch light switches, doors, drawers, trash cans, appliances, etc.
- Remove community tools such as whiteboard markers, remote controls/pointers, pens, keyboards, etc.
- Clean with products from approved lists from governing authorities.
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched surfaces on a daily basis, including: tables, light switches, countertops, handles, desks, toilets, faucets and sinks.
- Review current commercial cleaning policy and service and prepare for increasing frequency.
- Place hand sanitizer and/ or disinfectant wipes throughout common areas.
- Sanitize all workspace areas such as offices, conference rooms, breakroom, restrooms and lobbies.
Preparing Employees to Come Back
While some companies have been able to stay open amid the pandemic with increased safety precautions, many others are inviting employees and customers back in. It’s important that they feel safe and protected from this virus and any other future virus that could get them sick.
It’s important to have the conversation with employees about their readiness to return to work to mitigate any anxiety. This can be done by implementing new guidelines and practices that emphasize the cleanliness of their workplace. Some businesses are set up to be able to have flexibility with employees and their work preferences, but developing a set plan for flexible work schedules, staggered shifts and reminders about safety policies can keep everyone feeling safe and secure.
We could not be more proud of how our local small business owners have stepped up to take care of the needs in every city across the world that we service.”
Moving Forward with Hope
Since the start of the COVID-19 pandemic, businesses have turned to JAN-PRO Cleaning & Disinfecting and other cleaning companies as a responsibility to their community and their employees. We want to continue to implore business owners and customers to be safe and proactive when it comes to the ongoing crisis we are seeing around the globe. We are all working in an effort to make sure every business is disinfected and cleaned. We could not be more proud of how our local small business owners have stepped up to take care of the needs in every city across the world that we service. The efforts of our business owners have been paramount in keeping COVID-19 at bay worldwide. We know all commercial cleaning companies out there are moving forward with the same goal — to keep you safe.
Gary Bauer is the brand president of JAN-PRO Franchising International. JAN-PRO Cleaning & Disinfecting is one of the largest commercial cleaning franchises in the country with over 8,000 small business owners. For more information and franchise opportunities for International Franchise Association (IFA) franchisor member JAN-PRO Cleaning & Disinfecting, visit franchise.org/franchise-opportunities/ jan-pro-franchising-international-inc.