ABOUT IFA: Celebrating 59 years of excellence, education and advocacy, the International Franchise Association is the world's oldest and largest organization representing franchising worldwide. IFA works through its government relations and public policy, media relations and educational programs to protect, enhance and promote franchising and nearly 733,000 franchise establishments that support nearly 7.6 million direct jobs, $674.3 billion of economic output for the U.S. economy and 2.5 percent of the Gross Domestic Product (GDP). IFA members include franchise companies in over 300 different business format categories, individual franchisees and companies that support the industry in marketing, law, technology and business development.
GENERAL DESCRIPTION: Assist in development and implementation of a nationwide state & local government affairs program, serving as one of Association’s representatives before policymakers in all states & localities. Aiding in the direction of legislative and regulatory activities for the Association at the state & local level.
- Work with the Vice President, State Government Relations to develop and implement a state government relations program.
- Build and manage relationships with policymakers, state/local officials, state-level associations and industry partners to advance the association’s state/local government relations agenda.
- Build and manage relationships with state-level public affairs and state government professional societies.
- Identify, retain, and manage external consultants and lobbyists to assist in the advancement of Association priorities at the state level.
- Anticipate potential state and local legislative and regulatory threats or opportunities, and develop and implement appropriate government relations strategies.
- Enhance the Association’s ability to defend against threatening state and local legislative and regulatory initiatives.
- Communicate with Association membership regarding state legislative and regulatory initiatives, and educate members on the potential impact of proposals.
- Serve as staff liaison to Franchise Relations Committee and other Association committees, as assigned.
- Handles responsibilities related to monitoring/managing state/local legislative developments to identify issues affecting the Association’s interests.
- Plans and executes strategies to ensure that any state/local legislation has a positive or neutral impact on the Association.
- When necessary, testify before state/local policymakers on issues of importance to the Association.
- Bachelor’s Degree, Advanced degree preferred (JD)
- 3+ years experience in state/local advocacy (prior association, state staffer, or in-house experience preferred)
- Knowledge of state/local legislative tracking software
- Ability to travel, potentially on short notice
- Comfortable in public speaking and public facing position
- Ability to network/build coalitions
To apply, please send resume & cover letter to IFA's Jeff Hanscom at firstname.lastname@example.org.