How to Root Out Fraud in Your Franchise and Foster a Culture to Safeguard Against It
A company culture that is predicated upon solution management will continue to thrive and generate unity by adapting and preparing for change.
The increasing risks from IT breaches and legislation are overreaching; the franchise business model and culture is under pressure. These areas were once seemingly miles apart, but are now interwoven. The National Labor Relations Board’s joint employment ruling inhibits communications and operations between the franchisor and franchisee significantly. This looming limitation is hindering the franchise industry’s culture while simultaneously creating opportunities for cyber-criminals.
- Make your technology security a priority. Audit your environment bi-annually or annually to understand what your risks are and how your company and its customers will be affected if information is stolen. No company is too big or too small and these attacks are becoming more frequent and intrusive.
- Be adaptive. What worked yesterday may not work today. Information security experiences efficacy dilemmas just like other moving facets of your business. As a company or industry culture you are connected, adaptive and collaborative; ensure your technology is too.
- Create Access Controls. Everyone should never have full access to your full environment. By setting controlled access for all users, you can limit access to the systems they need for their tasks to control data exposure.
- Maintain Security Patches. Ensure your hardware and software security is up-to-date with anti-malware signatures, patches, etc. Criminals are continually optimizing their approach to find your vulnerabilities. While installing new or updated security patches, have a plan in place should a breach happen during this prime time.
- Educate and Train. Users should be able to recognize phishing emails, understand the implications of surfing the internet and streaming videos/music, and understand how to utilize passwords; make them strong and use a variety of different ones.